Sleep Disorder Services
It is estimated that one of every three Americans has a sleep disorder which makes life miserable whether that person is awake or asleep. Many of the people suffer needlessly because they are unaware that problems exist.
The Sleep Center, located at UNC Rockingham Health Care, offers diagnostic testing of sleep/wake disorders on an outpatient basis. Patients referred to the center are monitored by a team of qualified and specially trained individuals using state-of-the-art diagnostic medical equipment. The center offers services to patients with the following disorders:
- Sleep apnea—A disorder which causes you to stop breathing repeatedly during your sleep and can have serious impact on your heart and brain
- Narcolepsy or Hypersomnia—Disorders characterized by uncontrollable sleep attacks during the day
- Restless Legs Syndrome—A disorder associated with the urge to move in the evening frequently involving leg movements during sleep
- Parasomnia—Problems that occur only during sleep or are brought about by sleep, such as nightmares, sleepwalking or acting out your dreams
- Circadian Rhythm Disorders -A series of disorders in which the body clock is not synchronized to the normal day.