Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Scholarship
Get help with your education expenses while completing your nursing assistant program. Apply for UNC Rockingham’s Health Care Foundation Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Scholarship.
Is a CNA Career Right for You?
If you want to start a career on the frontlines of hospital patient care, consider becoming a certified nursing assistant. Caring for patients and supporting their families is fulfilling work.
Learn how to contribute to direct patient care in a health care setting and help people who are sick, recovering from surgery or living with long-term illnesses and disease. As a CNA, you’ll:
- Assist doctors and nurses with tests and treatments
- Help with daily activities patients have trouble doing on their own
- Provide basic patient care
Training to Become a CNA
You can enroll at Rockingham Community College in nursing assistant classes. The study program lasts up to 12 weeks. If you successfully complete the program, you can start a rewarding career as a CNA at UNC Rockingham Health Care.
Who Can Apply for Our Scholarship?
You’re eligible to apply for our scholarship if you are:
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, you must:
- Complete the CNA scholarship application.
- Include a short essay telling the Selection Committee why you are interested in this scholarship, your financial need, and what it would mean to be a scholarship recipient.
- Include two letters of recommendation with each sealed in an envelope with the writer’s signature across the seal. Alternatively, you may ask your recommender to mail or email their letter to us directly. Ask for recommendations from people who aren’t related to you but can write about your strengths and passion for health care.
Submit your completed application, essay, and letters by:
Scholarship Application Deadlines
To be considered, you must submit your scholarship application and information by the deadline for:
- Spring class – November 30
- Summer class – March 31
- Fall class – June 30
You and all applicants will receive notification of your status two weeks after the application submission deadline. You’ll receive a phone call from us if the Scholarship Selection Committee chooses you for an interview.
What to Expect at Your Interview
At your interview, expect to talk to the Scholarship Selection Committee—a small committee of board members from the Rockingham Health Care Foundation and UNC Rockingham. They’ll ask about your interest in and need for the scholarship.
The Rockingham Health Care Foundation awards two all-inclusive scholarships for each class session. We work closely with Rockingham Community College to ensure the scholarship covers all your costs, including:
- CPR certification
- Criminal background check and drug screen
- Program insurance
- Required class supplies, such as a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, and gait transfer belt
- Two uniforms and shoes
- State exam for license
Working as a CNA at UNC Rockingham
If you accept the scholarship award, you must work as a CNA at UNC Rockingham for at least one year. If you do not fulfill the one year of service, you will have to repay the scholarship money.
Benefits of Working for Us
Feel confident knowing you’ll have a job at UNC Rockingham when you complete your CNA training and education. When you begin your new career, you’ll be part of a skilled team of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals delivering high-quality care to our community.
Partner with us, and we’ll help support you. When you’re on our team, you’re part of the UNC healthcare system. You’ll enjoy:
- Medical, dental and other health benefits for you and your family
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Flexible spending account (FSA)
- Wellness program
- Options for life, accident, and critical illness insurance
- Academic assistance and encouragement to grow professionally
- Retirement savings plan