Cancer Team & Support
Fight cancer with help from a full team of specialists at UNC Cancer Care at Rockingham. Learn about the experts who provide treatment and make life easier during your cancer journey.
Expect complete care from a variety of professionals who get to know you as a person. Depending on your needs, you may work with:
- Dietitian – Advises you on getting the nutrition you need during and after cancer treatment
- Genetic counselor – Helps you and your family understand your inherited risk of cancer and is available by referral at UNC Medical Center
- Medical oncologist – Oversees your treatment using cancer medications, including chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and hormone therapy
- Nurses – Use specialized training in cancer to care for you during and after treatment
- Radiation oncologist – Oversees your radiation treatment
- Radiation therapists – Operate the machine that gives you radiation
- Rehabilitation specialists – Provide physical therapy, lymphedema therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy during and after treatment
- Surgeon – Removes tissue to check for or treat cancer
Rely on our nurse navigator for guidance throughout your cancer care journey. Ask for help:
- Communicating with the rest of your health care team
- Determining next steps
- Understanding treatment options
- Making appointments for care
You can work with our nurse navigator from the moment you receive imaging scan results that need follow-up testing for cancer—even if you’re not yet a UNC Rockingham patient.
Team Meetings to Plan Your Care
Your primary care provider and other members of the cancer care team meet regularly to discuss your condition and care plan. You’ll get the most informed, complete recommendations for treatment because experts from many specialties join these meetings, called tumor board reviews.
Lean on not just your health care team, but local volunteers and community support services for help during your cancer journey.
Breast Cancer Support
Ask questions and share your concerns with breast cancer survivors in Reach to Recovery, an American Cancer Society program. Call 800-227-2345 for more information.
Call the American Cancer Society’s Cancer Resource Network at 800-227-2345 any time of day or night to learn about programs, services, and resources in your community.
During a visit to the cancer center, check out the patient and family resource area for additional information about local support for cancer patients.
Talk to our onsite financial counselor for help understanding your medical bills and payment options. Rockingham County residents may apply for financial assistance through the Barry L. Joyce Local Cancer Support Fund.
For help getting to your cancer care appointment, call the American Cancer Society’s Road to Recovery program at 800-227-2345.
If you live in Rockingham County, you also can call the Barry L. Joyce Cancer Resource Center at 336-427-HELP (4357) for transportation assistance.